The commonly held conception of a fishing kayak is one of a fisherman sat down in complete tranquility waiting for a fish to bite the rod. However, there are actually numerous brands of kayak that will allow you to stand up.
Because the chances are that you might prefer your fishing to be slightly more active. Over 40% of fishers have claimed that they much prefer to be stood up when casting out their line, as this gives a lot more control, allowing them to hit their target a lot easier.
If you are struggling to land your lure farther out in the water, then we would certainly recommend that you pick up one of these fishing kayaks. Are you struggling to keep the blood circulating in your legs? Well, if you continue this article, you’ll find some of the best kayaks for standing up.
Because where are the best stand-up fishing kayaks? What features and design should a stand-up fishing kayak have to give you the best results when you’re out on the water? How can your fishing be improved by one of these boats? How much can you be expected to pay for a decent stand-up fishing kayak?
Well, fishers everywhere need to look no further, as we’ve got a list of some of the best stand-up fishing kayaks currently available on the market. We’ve also got a buyer’s guide that will help you determine the good fishing kayaks from the not-so-good, along with some frequently asked questions.
OUR TOP PICK
This first kayak is one that is designed for both sit-down and stand-up fishing, with a precision-balanced inside hull that will give you plenty of stability when you’re casting out your rod.
This is all incorporated into the main design of the boat, along with a seat that is fully adjustable and offers premium back support - introducing the Old Town Predator 13 Angler Fishing Kayak.
This kayak has a state-of-the-art footrest system that will lock your feet in place when standing. The kayak itself is 13 inches, with plenty of length to balance you out when you’re in the water.
This kayak includes rod tip holders that will increase the precision of your casting. It also has side-mounted paddle storage on the side, along with a deck that is completely slip-resistant, ensuring that you won’t be pitched into the water when the waves get choppy.
- This has solid foot brace technology - it will keep you firmly fixed in the hull of your boat, which will be perfect for stand-up fishers everywhere.
- This has a sealable storage container for placing your fishing gear that is completely waterproof.
- This has an exceptional maximum load capacity of around 400-pounds, so if you like to load up your fishing gear bag before hitting the water, then this is the perfect kayak for you.
- The narrow design of the boat will ensure that you have plenty of room to negotiate some of the finer causeways that wider boats will not be able to reach.
- Some users have complained that the upper weight limit is actually lower than that stated by the manufacturers.
This one is a mean-looking beast, while it is not technically considered a kayak, it will fit all your vertical fishing requirements.
This decking of this boat is superior in design, made from a no-flex material that is not only lightweight but gives you plenty of comfort and stability - introducing the Vibe Kayaks Maverick.
This kayak has 5 gear tracks that will enable you to zoom after even the fastest-moving fish in the river. If you want high-octane fishing that involves plenty of chase and capture, then we would certainly recommend this nippy little number.
This has plenty of accessories to aid rapid-fire fishing, from gear tracks and multiple paddle parks. You can even tie down your gear with a few rear bungee tie-down systems.
The stability of the decking underneath is amazing for keeping you afloat when the waters become tricky.
- This has plenty of sturdiness in the design, with a lot of balance in the feet when you are completely vertical.
- This boat is very lightweight, which makes it very easy for carrying up and down the shore. If you fancy going overground to reach another part of a particularly tricky river or lake, then we would recommend this kayak.
- This is perfect for adventurers who want that additional resilience from their kayak. Especially if you are planning on fishing in the undergrowth.
- The color pattern - this kayak has an amazing pattern on the side, so if you want to turn some heads when you hit the water, then this is certainly the kayak for you.
- Some users have complained that this is not technically a kayak and doesn’t possess a lot of the attributes that you might get with a standard model.
The next kayak is outlaw by name and outlaw by nature, coming in a foliage green design that has a great standing platform and elevated seating.
You can even stow away the seat, which will give you more scope for movement, allowing you to navigate the entire length of your deck - introducing the Perception Outlaw.
This deck comes with a great angling platform that will give you everything that you need for dedicated fishing - including double-barrel rod holders that will give you the ability to fish at multiple points. It also has space for a cooler if you plan on bringing some beers.
This has a retractable seat that you can fold away, giving you plenty of space on your decking. This kayak has mount recesses that will enable you to mount individual fishing rods.
But the ability to walk the entire length of your deck is perfect for having plenty of vantage over your underwater friends.
- This kayak has plenty of space both for you and your fishing tackle, you can mount plenty of rods as well as pace the entire length of your deck.
- The retractable chair - whether you want to give your legs some exercise or have premium back support for when you are sat down, this kayak gives you the option of both.
- This has double-barrel rod holders that are great for mounting all your favorite rods. This will also increase your chances of nabbing a fish.
- Inexpensive - this is one of the more reasonably-priced kayaks on this list, so if you are looking for something that won’t break the bank, you might want to try this one.
- Some users have complained that this kayak has arrived dented and damaged, which is obviously not desirable when you are out on the open water.
Our next kayak is one that can really withstand all the elements - with a wind-shedding hull and a walkable surface, you can be certain of achieving great fishing results with this boat.
You can also customize the deck on this kayak, allowing you to adapt to any style of fishing scenario - introducing the Wilderness Systems ATAK 120.
The AirPro MAX seat can be adjusted to give you high visibility and amazing comfort. It also has a flex pod console, which gives you electronic integration for that precision style of fishing. You can also install a motor drive, which will help you to reel in the heftier fish.
You can also collapse your seat, which will free you up to roam the entire length of your boat. Having this kind of vantage point will be very important when it comes to deep water fishing or a situation where you might have to keep track of numerous rods simultaneously.
- This decking is open to customization, giving you plenty of storage opportunities for better rods and additional storage for beers, bait and tackle.
- This kayak can be updated with plenty of electronic apparatus, from a Helix Motor Drive to an intelligent electronics system. This is perfect for precision fishing.
- The color patterning - if you want to be stylish as well as functional, then we would recommend that you buy this kayak.
- This seat is patented and ergonomic, allowing you plenty of back support and the luxury of stretching your legs, which will be crucial for users suffering from circulation problems such as DVT.
- Some users have complained that there were dings in the hull when it was delivered. It is very important that your product arrives with due care and no aspects of the boat are compromised.
This final kayak is one of the best on this list, which is why we’ve saved it for last! This gives you excellent stability, with a wide-open and customizable deck.
If you are fishing either solo or tandem with someone else, this is one of the most versatile fishing vessels that we have on this list - introducing the NuCanoe Frontier 12 Kayak.
This is great for both sitting and standing fishing, with plenty of room on the deck for casting out multiple rods. This will make you very calm and comfortable on the water, removing all the performance impediments that you might get from cramped spacing.
This kayak allows you the most control, with plenty of surface above ground, giving you the ability to scope out all the water on every side of your vessel. This also comes in a camouflage color, which will make you even more undetectable for fish and other wildlife in the area.
- This is a hybrid kayak, perfect for both fishers and hunters. You have plenty of space on the deck to store a vast amount of weaponry and fishing gear.
- You can use this kayak on a wide range of water, from rivers to lakes to the open water of the oceans. You can be sure that this one will give you everything you need for a professional level of fishing experience.
- It has amazing stability, which is perfect for the vertical fisher. You’ll want to adopt a wide stance on your boat, especially if the waters get choppy. Luckily this deck is very spacious.
- This deck is 20-inches wide, which is great for storing fishing gear and weaponry. It will also keep you very stable on the water, which can get quite dicey when you are fishing on both feet.
- Some users have complained that this kayak is not sturdy enough to support a hefty electric motor. Some boaters have even reported the boat breaking, even when the motor is mounted.
Best Stand Up Fishing Kayaks Buying Guide
There are several factors that you’ll need to consider when you are buying a new kayak. You’ll first need to think about the type of fishing that you’ll be doing.
If you are reading this article, the likelihood is that you’ll be wanting a stable kayak that will be able to support you when you are fishing standing up.
However, there are a few things that you’ll definitely need your kayak to provide for you. Here are just a few of them:
What Will You Be Using It For?
In what environment will you be fishing? If you are negotiating winding rivers, then the chances are you will be looking for a narrow but longer boat for fishing.
However, if you do choose one of these boats, then you can expect the stability to be a lot lower, which could lead to injury or loss of equipment.
If you are planning on carrying a lot of gear, you’ll also need a boat that has a higher weight capacity. If you want to carry your boat overland, then you’ll want something built from a lightweight substance such as carbon fiber or PVC.
How Well Does It Perform?
You’ll need to make sure that your boat has a decent speed. It should also be durable and easy to navigate.
You might also want to fix a motor to the back of your kayak, so you’ll need to make sure that it has a high maximum load capacity.
Has It Been Real World Tested?
This is very important for a boat, as you’ll want to make sure that it can withstand harsh weather and choppy waters. You’ll need a boat that easily balances, as well as being able to withstand the high impacts of landing on the shore.
Real-world testing is also very important for ensuring that your particular has no dents or dings before it reaches you. Some users have reported that their kayak arrives with numerous scuffs and scrapes on the outside of the hull. The last thing you want is for your kayak to spring a leak when on the water.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which Is Better: Stand Up Or Sit Down Kayaking?
This will all depend on what kind of fishing you prefer doing and how much mobility you like to have. If you do have circulation issues, then you’ll definitely want a boat that will afford you the luxury of being able to at least stretch your legs and feet, if not walk around.
Most of the kayaks on the list above will afford you both options, allowing you to retract your seat as and when you need to. You can also get seats that are ergonomic, which will alleviate suffering from any trapped nerves or other issues that can arise from prolonged sitting.
What Is The Difference Between A Canoe And A Kayak?
Usually, you paddle a canoe with a single blade paddle, often with the user inside sitting or kneeling. With a kayak, you use a double-handed paddle, with a choice of sit on or sit in models.
With a sit on kayak, you have more options for navigation and withstanding the harsher weather conditions. This will also keep you more secure when the waters get particularly choppy.
Our Final Say
When it comes to getting a stand-up kayak, you’ll want to make sure that it has all the appropriate materials, whether it is the body of the hull being made from PVC or carbon fiber.
As you have seen with a lot of these kayaks, the seat can be retracted so that you can stand up during your fishing expedition. This will be very important for moving around on your boat, allowing you the choice of a more concentrated, sit-down fish or a more active stand-up fish.
If your kayak arrives with any dents or other superficial damage, we would recommend that you return it to the manufacturer immediately.