Fishfinders have been used for over a decade now, using the latest technology to scour a lake or river to find the nearest cluster of fish for you to find. It can incorporate systems such as sonar and GPS, giving you everything that you need to find fish under the water.
But are you struggling to find the right battery to power your fishfinder? Often, if you opt to purchase cheaper batteries, you’ll be finding models that will let you down. Having a battery that is completely sealed and waterproof will also be very important for what you are doing.
You’ll also want a battery that is perfectly adaptable for fishing as you won’t want it to contribute to the weight of your boat. Having an unbalanced boat will be one of the worst things for a fisherman, as it could lead to a wobbly boat. It might even cause you to capsize!
So where can you find the best battery for a kayak fish finder? What features and materials should a battery have to give you the best performance for your fishing needs? Does your battery suit whatever activity you plan on doing? How much can you be expected to pay for a decent kayak fishing battery?
Well, if you are a fisher who is struggling to power their fish finder, then look no further. We’ve got a list of some of the best batteries that you can find on the market, along with a buyer’s guide that will help you find the batteries that are ideal for your style of fish finding. We then end with some frequently asked questions.
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
This first battery is perfectly adapted for fishing, a mean little machine, as you might be able to tell from the title!
This is great not only for fish finders, but for electric wheelchairs and home alarm systems. It has a spill-proof working and is made from high absorbent glass mat technology - introducing the SLA Battery Piranha MAX 160 Fish Finder.
Because of the impressively durable construction of this battery, you’ll be able to use it out on the water for weeks on end. The glass mat technology is highly resistant to water damage and other corrosive elements and will lead to an overall increased lifespan of your battery.
This battery is also resistant to vibrations, which can often afflict a kayak, especially if you are using an outboard motor. It has great torque and can be easily fitted to your fish finder without the need for additional tools.
- The construction - this battery is made from durable glass and is sealed, which will protect it from the elements.
- Waterproof - the sealed composition of this battery will extend its lifespan tenfold, it is also resistant to vibrations that could damage the internal components.
- This battery can be easily installed, which is perfect for fishers who might not have too much knowledge of electricals and have trouble connecting the individual wires.
- This device can fit a number of different applications, whether it is an electric wheelchair or the alarm system in your home - so why not pick up a few for your various needs?
- Some users have reported that this battery is not the most reliable, causing their fish finder to flash and then shut down randomly for no reason.
This next battery is one that is manufactured from lead-acid, charging fully within just 4 hours. It is a great battery if speed is what you’re looking for.
This comes with a sturdy construction that can easily withstand any shocks and vibrations that you can get from an electric motor - introducing the ExpertPower 12v 7ah Rechargeable Sealed Lead Acid Battery.
You can throw anything you like at this battery, from heat to chemical discharge, it will be able to survive a large number of shocks.
You can pick one of these up for a very reasonable price too, perfect if you’ve already blown most of your budget on fishing tackle.
This battery has a regulated charge, so you won’t have to worry about it overheating. This is made from premium grade materials, including glass mat, which is sealed to protect them from corrosive water elements.
- This battery is constructed from very durable materials, giving you everything that you need for a battery with a great lifespan and reliable performance.
- This unit is very lightweight, so if for any reason you’ll need to carry it separately or when still attached to the housing of your boat, then you’ll have no problem picking it up and carrying it.
- This battery comes with a dual certification that will ensure you of quality and reliable performance, with no overheating or other issues.
- The material is incredible, with a sealed design that will preserve your precious electrical innards from damage by water - obviously important for when you’re fishing!
- Some users have raised concerns about battery life, that this unit might not last as long as some of the others we have on this list.
This next one is technically a battery for mobility scooters and electric wheelchairs, but you won’t have to worry about it working with your kayak also.
This battery is completely maintenance-free, meaning that you’ll be able to focus all your efforts on finding your fish - introducing the Compatible 12V 35AH Wheelchair Battery.
You can mount this battery on any number of different kayaks, which will be important if you are looking to use multiple vessels and want to switch out your battery.
This battery has a very solid performance, reducing the level of noxious fumes that will circulate in the surrounding area.
This battery also has very good shock absorption that will be great for dealing with vibrations, not only when it comes to the outboard motor, but also with the natural pitching and rocking of your kayak.
- This battery has a built-in ability to be able to absorb shocks, coming in a solid glass mat design that is sealed to prevent water intake.
- This will reduce fumes that you will have coming from your battery, which will be very important especially if you are taking your children kayaking with you.
- This battery can be mounted quickly and installed easily, so you won’t have to waste too much time on your electricals, you can focus on finding your fish.
- The versatility - this battery you can use for a number of different applications, whether it is the alarm system in your home to running the battery on an ATV.
- The price - with a wide range of features comes a high price tag. If you plan on taking your kayak out on the water no more than a few times a month, you might want to seek a cheaper model.
This next unit is another premium power charger, coming with multiple certifications that make sure that you have the highest level of safety, as well as great performance and a long lifespan.
This battery comes with an ABS case that will ensure that you have plenty of stability - introducing the Power-Sonic PS-1290 12 Volt 9 Amp Hour Rechargeable SLA Battery.
This battery is one of the safest to use on our list, coming with multiple certifications that will ensure no overheating, electrical shortages or corruption of the wiring.
The performance of this battery is solid and reliable, making it ideal for long-duration fishing that could see you out on the water for a few hours.
The casing is very sturdy, easily able to absorb shocks, made from highly-concentrated glass mat technology. The energy density of this battery is second-to-none, owing to the intensity of the volume and power ratio.
- This unit is extremely powerful, giving you plenty of charge and making sure that your fish finder does not cut out on you when you are chasing a particularly nimble carp.
- This battery is highly resistant to wet weather and water, both of which give it that extra-long lifespan.
- This comes with an ABS casing, which is very sturdy and will be able to resist plenty of shocks and vibrations from the motor of your kayak.
- This battery has a great one-year warranty, giving you that peace of mind when it comes to failure and electrical short circuits.
- Some buyers have complained that the installation of this model is slightly trickier than some of the others.
Our final choice of battery is one that is comprised of acid.
It doesn’t come with any mounting accessories, but you can be sure of a top-quality performance, as well as corrosion-free abilities and its impressive technology and construction - introducing the Mighty Max Battery 12V 9AH.
This battery has a rechargeable option, which is perfect for those users who want to save a lot of money in the long term. It is extremely compact and very lightweight.
You can easily lug it from one end of the boat to another, which is important if you are trying to arrange the space on your vessel.
This device is very powerful, giving you a hefty 12V of energy, meaning that your fish finder will be able to run for a lot longer.
Having this ability will certainly be appealing for those fishers who like to spend half a day out on the water.
- This unit is a top performer, the construction and design of the battery promoting an extra-long lifespan.
- You can easily clean the inside of this battery, as it comes with thicker plates that are resistant to corrosion and water absorption.
- It is very lightweight and compact, perfect for storing on even the smaller kayak. When it comes to fishing, you’ll want to minimize the overall weight of your gear to within the nearest ounce.
- This battery is rechargeable, which will certainly save you money in the long run, which will be important for fishers on a budget.
- This does not come with many accessories like a mounting harness, so you’ll have to buy this separately, which will increase the initial cost.
Best Battery For Kayak Fish Finder Buying Guide
When it comes to buying your next kayak fish finder battery, there are a few basic things that you’ll want your battery to be able to perform.
If your battery lets you down on even one aspect of your fishing, then you should probably consider buying a brand new one.
Here are some of the things that you’ll definitely need your fish finder battery to provide you:
What Type Of Battery Is It?
As you have seen above, there are many different types of battery, from acid to lead to rechargeable. You should buy the one depending on the type of fishing you do as well as the budget that you have to spend.
A rechargeable battery, for example, will certainly save you a lot of money in the long run. All you have to do when it runs out of juice is to plug it into the mains in your wall when you get home.
Having a battery that works on multiple appliances such as your house alarm and electric wheelchair will also increase its usability.
How Long Does It Take To Charge?
Charging a battery will obviously impact the whole time of your trip. If you are a casual angler, you’ll probably want to reduce this time as much as possible.
However, if you take your fishing seriously, then you’ll want to make sure that you have enough juice for the trip ahead.
You should have a battery that takes around 4-5 hours to fully charge. If your battery is taking longer than that, then the chances are there might be a fault with it.
Does It Have A Carry Case?
Protection is crucial with these batteries. Once false impact and you might find yourself having difficulty charging your battery entirely. Having a carry case that will be able to protect it from bangs and dings will be very important, so make sure that your next battery has one.
A carry case will also keep out harmful but subtly intrusive elements such as dust and water. If you are keeping your battery in the garage for weeks at a time, then we would certainly suggest that you get a case that is sealed.
What Is The Capacity Of Your Battery?
You’ll want a battery that gives you value for the money that you’re paying for it. If your battery does not have a premium level of voltage or duration of charge, then you can be left feeling slightly shortchanged.
Remember that batteries such as this are an investment. The last thing you’ll want to be doing is spending lots of money frequently on getting new batteries.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Types Of Battery Can You Get For A Fish Finder?
There are a few different types of battery for a fish finder, each one will give you a certain level of power, catering to the needs of various different styles of fishing.
Here are a few of the most popular batteries:
- Nickel Cadmium - This type of battery makes use of metallic cadmium, as well as nickel oxide hydroxide and alkaline electrolytes. This is a type of rechargeable model, so it should last you a lot longer than some other batteries.
- Lithium Batteries - This type of battery is probably one of the most popular, with low internal resistance and reliable performance.
- Sealed Lead Acid Battery - this type of battery is the most flexible and can be adapted for a lot of different types of power scenarios. They are also very affordable, which makes them an ideal first battery for entry-level anglers. It also doesn’t suffer leaks.
How Does A Fish Finder Work?
Fish finders use sonar technology to bounce waves from a transmitter off the bodies of the fishes themselves and then back. These waves are then recorded and sent back to the screen, displaying how many fish there are as one large mass on your screen.
To tell the fish apart from the stones, rocks and riverbanks, the waves are displayed differently on your screen. The echoes will often differ in size from other elements and are shown on your LCD screen with a particular symbol, usually in the form of a fish icon.
Our Final Say
We hope that our breakdown of some of the best batteries for kayak fish finders has helped you determine the next power source for you and your electronic fish locator.